Libraries and Academic Resources Committee (LARC)
Meeting Dates 2017
The Committee will meet on the following Tuesdays from 11.00am - 1.00pm in the Digital Studio, Level 2, Arts West
Professor Veronique Duché Tel: 9035 3516
To be advised
Ms Sarah Charing Tel: 9035 4437
Meeting Papers (Committee Members Only)
The Meeting Information Manager contains the LARC meeting papers for 2009 onwards.
Composition and Terms of Reference
- President of the Academic Board or nominee.
- Vice-President, Academic Board or nominee.
- University Librarian.
- Manager, Academic Skills.
- Chair of the IT Committee.
- A Chairperson appointed by the President of the Academic Board.
- Academic Secretary or Academic Governance Officer.
- Four members of the Academic Board elected by the Academic Board for a term of two years (Two members to retire each year).
- Up to two members of the Academic Board appointed as members of the Committee by the President of Academic Board for a term of up to two years in order to take into account matters such as the balance of membership by discipline.
- Up to three members nominated by the University Librarian, for a term of two years.
- The president of UMSU or nominee.
- The president of GSA or nominee.
- Up to six additional members, not being members of the Academic Board, nominated by the President of the Academic Board for a term of up to two years having regard to gender balance, disciplinary expertise and faculty distribution of the membership.
- Manager, Grainger Museum.
- University Archivist.
Academic Board must appoint a person to chair the Committee for a period of up to two years. A person so appointed will be eligible for re-appointment. Academic Board must also appoint a Deputy Chairperson, in consultation with the Chairperson.
A quorum for the committee is 3 or 20% of the current membership, whichever is greater.
4. Terms of Reference
4.1 In collaboration with the Provost, Faculties, Graduate Schools and related Academic Board committees, to develop appropriate qualitative and quantitative indicators of the quality of the University's scholarly information services and resources (including libraries and information technology), taking into account national and international recommended practices, and to oversee, monitor and review their use.
4.2 To monitor the quality of the University's scholarly information services and resources and to ensure these are appropriate to academic teaching and research programs, taking account of international developments and best practice in order to ensure that services and resources are of the highest possible quality and standards.
4.3 To advise the Provost and Academic Board on priority areas for resourcing and development of scholarly information services and resources.
4.4 To advise the Academic Board on policy matters relating to access to and use of all University's scholarly information services and resources including library use and user services.
4.5 To receive reports from University of Melbourne Archives Committee and the Grainger Museum.
The Library and Academic Resources Committee will report to Academic Board after each meeting
The Academic Secretary, or nominee, will provide secretariat support to the committee.
Academic Board approval, meeting dates: A.B. 21/03/96, 18/04/96, 18/02/99, 24/06/99, 22/02/01, 21/06/01, 22/11/01, 01/02/08, 07/04/11, 28/02/13.
Membership 2016 (unconfirmed)
|President of the Academic Board or nominee||Professor Rachel Fensham|
|Vice President, Academic Board or nominee||Professor Sarah Biddulph|
|Chairperson, appointed by the President of the Board||Professor Véronique Duché|
|University Librarian||Mr Philip Kent|
|Chair of the IT Committee||Professor Justin Zobel|
|Four members of the Academic Board appointed as members of the |
Committee by the President of the Academic Board for a term of up to
|Professor Even Bieske|
Professor John Hajek
Professor Christina Cregan
Professor Stefan Arndt
|Up to two members of the Academic Board appointed as members of the |
Committee by the President of the Academic Board for a term of up to two years
|Professor Véronique Duché|
Professor Richard Sinnott
|The President of GSA or nominee||Ms Amelia Saward|
|The President of UMSU or nominee||Ms Sinead Manning|
|Up to six additional members, not being members of Academic Board, |
nominated by the President of the Academic Board for a term of up to
two years having regard to gender balance and disciplinary expertise of the membership
|Dr Dianne Chambers|
Associate Professor Kristine Elliott
Associate Professor Peter Mansell
Dr David Mcrae
Associate Professor Richard Pennell
|Up to three members nominated by the University Librarian for a|
term of two years
|Ms Jenny Ellis|
Ms Teresa Chitty
Associate Professor Gavan McCarthy
|Manager, Grainger Museum||Ms Jo-Anne Cooper|
|University Archivist||Dr Katrina Dean|
|Committee Executive Officer||Ms Sarah Charing|