TIMELINE


1855

University of Melbourne founded with music listed as one of the four areas in which it could award degrees.


1867

National Gallery of Victoria’s Art School (later, a founding school of the VCA) opened.


1879

First Australian degree in music awarded by the University of Melbourne (also the first music degree awarded in Australia). This was a Doctor of Music, Ad Eundem, to Rev. George William Torrance (1835–1907, Doctor of Music of Dublin University).


1887

A £20,000 gift from Francis Ormond (1829–1889) supports the University’s first endowed Chair, the Chair of Music, subsequently named the Ormond Professorship.


1890

George William Louis Marshall-Hall (1862–1915) appointed first Ormond Professor of Music, commencing his role in 1891 and serving until 1900.


1891

First full-time music course enrolments. Bachelor of Music, Diploma of Music, and Doctor of Music degrees established.


1894

First Bachelor of Music graduate (Arthur Chanter, 1866–1950)


1895

Conservatorium of Music (Victoria St, Carlton) officially opened on 28 February in the Queen’s Coffee Palace.


1896

First woman (Mona McBurney, 1862–1932) graduates as a Bachelor of Music


1900

Conservatorium moves to the Victorian Artists’ Society building (Albert Street, East Melbourne)

Marshall-Hall dismissed and Franklin Peterson (1861–1914) appointed Ormond Professor


1901

Marshall-Hall continues as Director of his Conservatorium of Music (Albert St) and a new University Conservatorium opens on campus

First Australian University Conservatorium Examinations Board elected at Melbourne (later to become the AMEB).


1902

First practical music examinations held.


1908

Victorian Government commits to providing a new building for the Conservatorium.


1909

Nellie Melba (1861–1931) lays the foundation stone for new Conservatorium building in Parkville.

Melba donates a set of orchestral instruments to encourage the use of ‘normal pitch’ tuning.


1910

Parkville Conservatorium building opened on 16 April.


1912

Melba inaugurates a fund to raise money for a conservatorium concert hall by giving a benefit concert. Victorian Government agrees to match funds raised.


1913

Melba Hall opened on 29 October.


1914

Marshall-Hall reinstated as Ormond Professor but dies within seven months


1915

William Adolphus Laver (1866–1940) appointed third Ormond Professor, serving until 1925.


1917

University Symphony Orchestra officially established.


1921

Conservatorium Old Students’ Association established.


1925

Bernard Heinze (1894–1982) appointed fourth Ormond Professor, serving from 1926 until 1957.


1926

Conservatorium becomes the Faculty of Music of the University.

Sir George Tallis (1869–1948) funds an extension to the Conservatorium building.


1927

Master School established for high achieving performance graduates.


1932

Original University Symphony Orchestra dissolved.

Diploma of Master School in Music created.

Éditions de l'Oiseau-Lyre founded in Paris by Louise Dyer (1884–1962).

Sidney Myer trust established, to be used for orchestral music in Melbourne.


1935

Further extensions made to the Conservatorium building, funded by Ivy Deakin Brookes (1883–1970) and Herbert Brookes (1867–1963).


1938

Percy Grainger (1882–1961) opens his Museum at the Unviersity.

Creation of the Council for Music in Schools at the Conservatorium.


1945

Conservatorium Drama School established (only to be dissolved by 1960).


1946

Certificate for Music in Schools established.


1947

Degree in Music Education (School Music) established.


1958

George Loughlin (1914–1984) appointed fifth Ormond Professor, until 1979.


1960

Master of Music degree established.

Creation of the Conservatorium Opera School (closed 1963).


1961

Higher Diploma of Music established.


1962

The Louise B.M. Hanson-Dyer and J.B. Hanson Bequest first established.


1965

Concert Diploma in Music established.


1971

First PhD in Music awarded.


1972

Victorian College of the Arts founded.


1973

Electronic Music Studio opened.


1974

VCA School of Music founded offering a Diploma of Arts in Music, John Hopkins (1927–2013) appointed its first Dean.

Creation of the second Chair of Music at the Conservatorium.

Bachelor of Music Education established.


1975

Conservatorium as a distinct entity dissolved.

Conservatorium building in Parkville placed on the National Trust Twentieth-Century Buildings Register.

Week of Music established.

Second Chair of Music first filled.


1977

Bachelor of Music and Bachelor of Music Education restructured.

Bachelor of Arts in Music (VCA) established.


1978

Melba Hall organ acquired.

Music Therapy course first established in collaboration with the Psychology Faculty.

Graduate Diploma in Music (VCA) introduced.


1980

Michael Brimmer (b. 1933) appointed Ormond Professor, serving until 1989.


1981

First graduates in Music Therapy.

Jazz Studies added to the Diploma of Arts in Music at VCA.


1982

VCA School of Music building opened at Southbank.


1984

Melba Hall restoration.


1987

Sir Bernard Heinze Memorial Award first presented


1988

Jazz Studies added as a major to Bachelor of Arts in Music at VCA.


1989

Single Bachelor of Music introduced (four year degree with specialisation in composition, music education, music therapy, musicology, music performance, instrumental or vocal teaching).


1990

Graduate Diploma in Music Therapy introduced.


1991

VCA becomes affiliated with the University of Melbourne, amalgamated Faculty of Music, Visual and Performing Arts created from the Faculty of Music and VCA.

Warren Bebbington (b.1952) appointed seventh Ormond Professor, holding the post until 2007.

Context Journal of Music Research founded by the faculty.


1992

Centre for Studies in Australian Music founded.

Graduate Diploma of Arts in Music offered (VCA).


1993

Bachelor of Music Performance and Graduate Diploma of Music first offered at VCA.


1994

Faculty of Music and VCA de-amalgamate.


1995

Graduate Diplomas in Guided Imagery and Music, Instrumental Teaching, and Composition (Film and Television, Electroacoustic Music, or Instrumental and Vocal) all introduced.

Master of Music Performance offered at VCA.


1996

Early Music Studio founded.


1997

Postgraduate Diploma in Improvisational Music Therapy and Graduate Diploma in Music Recording and Production established.

Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA) established.

Graduate Diploma in Improvisation and Diploma in Music Performance established at VCA.


1999

Diploma in Music (Practical) re-established.


2000

Master of Music Studies introduced.


2004

PhD in Music Performance (VCA) first offered.


2006

Graduate Diploma in Music, Graduate Certificate in Music, Postgraduate Certificate in Music, Postgraduate Diploma in Music and Master of Music Therapy all introduced.

The Lyrebird Press established to continue the work of Éditions de l’Oiseau-Lyre.


2007

VCA integrated into the University of Melbourne as a separate faculty becoming the Faculty of the Victorian College of the Arts.


2009

Gary McPherson appointed Ormond Professor.

Faculty of the VCA and Music merged, Conservatorium renamed the School of Music.

Bachelor of Music Theatre established.


2011

Divisional structure revised to become the Faculty of the Victorian College of the Arts and Melbourne Conservatorium of Music.

Master of Philosophy in Music established.


2012

Master of Music (Opera Performance) and Master of Music (Performance Teaching) established.


2016

Master of Music (Interactive Composition) and Master of Music (Jazz & Improvisation) established.


2017

Master of Music (Music Psychology & Performance Science) established.


2018

Combined faculty renamed as the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music.

Graduate Certificate in Voice Studies and Master of Music (Orchestral Performance) introduced.


2019

Ian Potter Southbank Centre opens.

Timeline commissioned by Prof. Gary McPherson in consultation with Prof. Kerry Murphy and Dr. Jen Hill for the Celebration of 125th founding of the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music.