The following web-based resources provide information on a range of Indigenous issues:
Governance and public policy
- Australian Indigenous Governance Institute
An organisation connecting Indigenous groups, individuals and organisations to world-class best-practice expertise and knowledge.
- AIATSIS – Governance and Public Policy
- Indigenous–Settler Relations Collaboration, The University of Melbourne
Following the Australian Government rejection of the Uluru Statement from the Heart, the University’s ISRC looks to expand public and official understanding of the challenges that lie at the heart of just relations between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples.
- Right Wrongs
A collection of personal stories, opinions and historical recordings focusing on the 27 May, 1967 referendum.
Languages and linguistics
- AIATSIS – Languages and Cultural Expression
- Research Unit for Indigenous Language, The University of Melbourne
The Unit works with Indigenous communities to expand and strengthen Indigenous language research, and to support efforts by communities to maintain their linguistic and cultural heritage.
- Victorian Aboriginal Corporation for Languages
The Corporation is focused on retrieving, recording and researching Aboriginal languages and providing a central resource on Victorian Aboriginal Languages with programs and educational tools to teach the Indigenous and wider community about language.
- Awaye! Word Up
This podcast, produced by the ABC, shared the diverse languages of black Australia from Anmatyerre to Yorta Yorta—one word at a time.
- Supply Nation
This organisation connects corporate Australia and government with Indigenous businesses. The University of Melbourne is a member of Supply Nation.
A not-for-profit building the capacity of Indigenous people and communities, and promoting self-reliance, entrepreneurial activity and business planning. The University of Melbourne Jawun Development Program places talented University of Melbourne staff into Indigenous organisations for a six-week period.
- Victorian Aboriginal Business Directory
Victorian Government listing of Aboriginal businesses.
- Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research
Australia’s foremost social science research body focusing on Indigenous economic and social policy from a national perspective.
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Islander Studies (AIATSIS)
A world-renowned research, collections and publishing organisation that promotes knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures, traditions, languages and stories.
- National Library of Australia
The Library's collection holds a diverse range of material, offering a rich interpretation of Australia's past and contemporary Indigenous culture.
- Australian Museum
The Indigenous Australia Learning Resources has a wide range of collections and resources for students, teachers and the public.
- Koorie Heritage Trust
The Trust, located at Melbourne’s Federation Square, promotes, supports and celebrates the continuing journey of the Aboriginal people of South Eastern Australia.
- State Library Victoria
‘Koori Victoria’ has a fine collection of books, photographs and other material relating to Aboriginal people.
- Common Ground
Sharing First Nations cultures, histories and lived experiences
- 2020 Sydney Film Festival
Two movies are available for rent during the Festival season (until 21 June):
- The Skin of Others is a compelling portrait of an extraordinary figure, Aboriginal WWI soldier Douglas Grant, featuring acclaimed Indigenous actor Balang Tom E. Lewis (in his final performance).
- Our Law tells the story of Western Australia’s first Indigenous-run police station. Two officers learn language and culture to help them police one of the most remote beats in the world.
- Indigenous Education Research Database
ACER Learning Ground has the latest national and international publications focusing on Indigenous education.
- MURRA Indigenous Master Class Program, The University of Melbourne
The Program was developed by the Melbourne Business School to support established Indigenous business owners, entrepreneurs and managers to grow capability and their businesses.
- Racism No Way
Promoting anti-racism education programs, strategies and resources appropriate for use in Australian schools.
- Curricula Project
The National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Curricula Project will assist teachers to implement the Australian Curriculum by bringing to life the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures Cross-Curriculum Priority in their classrooms.
- Indigenous Knowledge
The output from the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Curricula Project has resulted in a searchable resource for school teachers to incorporate Indigenous Knowledge in the classroom. This web page contains resources for Years 3 to 10 across seven learning areas: English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities and Social Sciences, The Arts, Technologies and Health and Physical Education.
- The Lowitja Institute
Australia's National Institute for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Research
- Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet A Level II Research Centre within Edith Cowan University making research and other knowledge readily accessible to those working in the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health sector.
- Menzies School of Health Research A leading medical research institute focused on improving the health and well-being of Indigenous Australians.
- National Centre for Indigenous Genomics
Under Indigenous Governance, National Centre for Indigenous Genomics conducts research and other activities to build and maintain a genome resource for the research community.
- Department of Health, Indigenous Health
- Closing the Gap, Department of Prime Minister & Cabinet
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Indigenous Australians
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Indigenous Australians Health and Welfare
- Victorian Government, Aboriginal Health
- Australian Indigenous Doctors' Association
- Congress of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives
Community controlled health peak bodies
- National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation
- Aboriginal Health & Medical Research Council of New South Wales
- Aboriginal Health Council of South Australia Ltd.
- Aboriginal Health Council of Western Australia
- Central Australian Aboriginal Congress Inc. (NT)
- Queensland Aboriginal & Islander Health Council
- Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre
- Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation Inc.
- Winnunga Nimmityjah Aboriginal Health Service (ACT)
- Leaders in Indigenous Medical Education (LIME) Network (based at The University of Melbourne)
- Melbourne Poche Centre for Indigenous Health, The University of Melbourne
- Indigenous Health Equity Unit, The University of Melbourne
- Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association (CAAMA)
CAAMA’s social charter is to use the mediums of radio and TV to give Aboriginal people a strong voice in the development of country, culture, politics and education, to use the broadcasting arts and sciences to arrest cultural disintegration, to empower people and bring inspiration to their lives.
- National Indigenous Television (NITV)
NITV is a channel made by, for and about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people that provides a rich diversity of cultures, languages and talent, and informs, educates and entertains all Australians about the issues that matter the most to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Koori Mail
The fortnightly national newspaper the Koori Mail reports on the issues that matter to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and gives them a voice missing in the mainstream media.
- National Indigenous Times
The National Indigenous Times is an online publication that aims to build a bridge between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and other Australians, report on the tough issues, and inform, engage and empower through promoting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander achievement.
- National Film and Sound Archive of Australia
A collection of film clips on Indigenous Australia, accompanied by teachers’ and expert curators’ notes, designed for teachers and students.
An online platform for Indigenous people to share their knowledge, opinions and experiences.
- First Australians, SBS
First Australians chronicles the birth of contemporary Australia as never told before, from the perspective of its first people, exploring what unfolded when the oldest living culture in the world was confronted by the British Empire.
An online media platform by and for First Nations people, preserving language and culture for future generations.
- ABC Indigenous Portal
The ABC Indigenous portal aggregates Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander stories from around the ABC & around Australia.
- Wilin Centre for Indigenous Arts and Cultural Development, The University of Melbourne
- Australia Council for the Arts
- Reconciliation Film Club, SBS
An online platform that supports organisations to host screenings of a curated selection of compelling Indigenous documentaries from Australia's leading Indigenous filmmakers, to develop a deeper understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives, histories and cultures.
- Reconciliation Australia
An independent, not-for-profit organisation that promotes and facilitates reconciliation by building relationships, respect and trust between the wider Australian community and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
RA’s Resources page provides additional information and resources – from a curated selection of documentaries by Australia’s leading Indigenous filmmakers to historical, cultural and governance resources. Reconciliation News Magazine is an excellent source of what is currently happening in Australia's Reconciliation space.
- ANTaR (Australians for Native Title and Reconciliation)
ANTaR is an independent, national network of organisations and individuals working in support of Justice, Rights and Respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in Australia.
- Australian Human Rights Commission
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice section on the website contains information on Native Title, Indigenous international rights, information sheets and more.
- National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples
Drawing strength from culture and history, Congress is the national representative body for its membership – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander individuals and organisations – and an independent national voice, leader, advocate and source of advice and expertise for First Peoples and the wider community.
- The Uluru Statement from the Heart and its pedagogic implications
In this lecture, Professor Megan Davis, who chaired the convention, discusses the processes that led to the development of the Uluru Statement From the Heart, in terms of the key epistemic and cultural ideas it embodies, its political and constitutional significance for the Australian society and its importance to the work of educators in particular.
- Wurundjeri Land and Compensation Cultural Heritage Council Aboriginal Corporation
This representative body offers cultural and educational services, and information on Aboriginal cultural heritage work and land management practices.
- Boon Wurrung Foundation
The Foundation represents the traditional people and custodians of the lands from the Werribee River to Wilsons Promontory – proud members of the Kulin People, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung.
- Kaiela Institute
The Kaiela Institute supports collaboration between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal leaders to envision, design and implement an inclusive future for all people in the Goulburn Murray region.
- Federation of Victorian Traditional Owner Corporations
The Federation acts as a voice for Traditional Owners by focusing on shared interests such as broadening political engagement, increasing economic opportunities and caring for Country.