Academic progress appeals (Coursework)

This information is for students whose enrolment has been terminated, suspended, or made subject to certain conditions, due to unsatisfactory academic progress and who wish to lodge an appeal against this decision.

Schedule of Academic Board Progress appeal hearings

Unsatisfactory progress matters are dealt with under the Academic Board Regulation and the Academic Progress Review Policy.

What does termination of enrolment mean?

Termination of enrolment means: forced cessation of study in a particular course for an indefinite period. In other words, a student whose enrolment is terminated is not permitted to continue their course.

Student visa holders (international students) whose enrolment is terminated will be reported to the Australian Government Department of Education unless they lodge a successful appeal to the Academic Board or to the Ombudsman.

Important: In accordance with section 5.40 of the Academic Progress Review Policy,  any conditions a CAPC imposes on your enrolment are effective from the date of the decision:

    5.40. Any conditions a CAPC imposes on a student’s enrolment remains in place until:
    (a) amended or overturned by the Board following appeal; or
    (b) the student makes satisfactory progress in a subsequent teaching period.
    Your study plan will be adjusted by the CAPC secretary who must under section 5.21:
    (i) ensure the student’s record card reflects the decision of the CAPC;
    (j) ensure that complete records of all CAPC meetings are maintained in a form approved by the Academic Secretary which meet the requirements of the University’s records policy.

If the CAPC has suspended or terminated your enrolment, you will remain admitted into your course but not actively enrolled in subjects. You will only be able to enrol in subjects should your appeal be upheld and the suspension or termination overturned. Should you wish to attend some classes you will need to seek permission from the relevant faculty.

Once the time to lodge your notice of appeal with the Academic Secretary (within 20 University business days of the original decision) expires, you will be suspended or terminated from your course if you have not lodged an appeal.

Appealing a decision made by the Course Academic Progress Committee (CAPC)

Please read and follow the instructions below carefully.

Step 1: Obtain a copy of your CAPC report

You can obtain a copy of the report of your meeting by completing the following form. The CAPC report will provide a summary of the Progress Committee's considerations in making its decision.

Step 2: Identify the grounds for your appeal

Appeals to the Academic Board must be based on one or more of the following grounds:

  1. A procedural irregularity has occurred (which may include that the student has not received a fair hearing in all the circumstances);
  2. There is new information that could not reasonably have been provided at the time of the original decision, and that would probably have affected the decision or any penalty imposed;
  3. The decision was manifestly wrong, or not available in the circumstances; and/or
  4. The penalty imposed was manifestly excessive, harsh or inappropriate.

Step 3: Draft a Letter of Appeal

If you believe that you have grounds for an appeal, then write a letter which:

  1. States the grounds for your appeal as outlined above,
  2. Includes as much information and detail as possible, and
  3. Where appropriate, provide relevant evidence supporting the grounds on which you wish to appeal against the decision. Evidence may include documents such as medical certificates, letters of support, travel documents, insurance documents etc. Copies or translations of these documents must be certified.

We suggest that you use this template to help draft your Letter of Appeal.

Step 4: Contact the Student Advocacy Service

The University has a single funded independent advocacy service, the Student Union Advocacy Service (SUAS), which is directly funded from the Student Services and Amenities Fee. The service is provided through the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) and is available to all students: graduate and undergraduate, on or off the Parkville campus.

You are strongly advised to contact a student advocate as soon as possible.

Step 5: Submit your Letter of Appeal and supporting documents

Your Letter of Appeal must be submitted to the Academic Secretary within 20 working days of receiving notification of the CAPC decision. Your Letter of Appeal and supporting documents should be emailed to the Academic Secretary.

The Academic Secretary will consider your appeal and decide whether there are grounds for it to proceed to a hearing.

Step 6: Attend the appeal hearing

If the Academic Secretary is satisfied that you have demonstrated grounds for appeal, then an appeal hearing will be heard by a Student Appeal Panel. The  Student Appeal Panel Secretary will notify you of the time, date and location of your appeal hearing. You are welcome to bring one person to support you at the hearing (however that person must not be a legal practitioner).

The hearing will last approximately 25 minutes.   Student Appeal Panel comprises three members of the Academic Board and at least one representative of your Faculty or School will be present. At the hearing, you will be given the opportunity to present your appeal to the panel. The  Student Appeal Panel Secretary will notify you of the appeal outcome within five working days.

For more information about the appeal process please refer to:

Enquiries may be directed to the Academic Secretary.


Privacy Statement and Privacy Collection Notice