Information for Overseas Candidates

If you are from overseas and considering moving to Australia to work, there are plenty of online resources to assist you with your planning.

Please note: The following information is provided as a guide only. For any specific information you should seek advice from your nearest Australian Overseas representative office, High Commission or the organisations themselves.

Live in Victoria Information for business migrants about immigrating to live and work in Melbourne and Victoria, published by the Victorian Government’s Skilled and Business Migration Program. Includes a relocation guide and immigration and Visa information.
Department of Immigration and Border Protection Current information on migrating to Australia is available from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection web site. As there are many visa categories, and variations in personal circumstances, any advice should be sought from Department of Immigration and Border Protection or your nearest Australian Overseas Embassy (a list of Embassies is also available from the website).
Australian Health SystemInformation on Australia’s national public health insurance system is available from the Medicare website. Private health insurance is also available from a range of providers. Staff on temporary visas are not covered by the national public health insurance scheme and must take out their own private health insurance for the duration of their appointment.
Australian Taxation Office This website provides information about Australia’s Taxation system. If you are working in Australia you must apply for a Tax File Number. Information on how to apply for a Tax File Number is available from this website.
Centrelink Centrelink is a national government agency which manages Australia's social security system. Centrelink manages allowances such as Family Tax Benefits and Child Care Benefits which you maybe eligible for, depending on the type of visa category you are eligible to apply for.
Vic Roads Vic Roads provides information about driving motor vehicles and obtaining a driving license in Australia.
RACV The Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV) website provides some information about buying cars in Australia.
Real Estate Information on rental accommodation, or if you wish to purchase a home, can be obtained from local Real Estate Agents. A couple of useful websites are: and
Education Information regarding education in Victoria and tools to locate schools in your local area.

More Information