University Annual Reports
Our annual reports detail key financial and operational events for the year, in addition to providing insights into some of the extraordinary work that has taken place across the University.
2020 was a year like no other, and this is reflected in our latest Annual Report, which describes the University's responses to devastating 'Black Summer' Australian bushfires, and the global pandemic that affected individuals, communities and institutions in almost every country. Standing firm in the face of these crises, the University re-evaluated its purpose and focus in line with the new strategy, Advancing Melbourne. Working with partners and within its communities, the University addressed the challenges of COVID-19, quickly readjusting its processes and mobilising to support students and staff.
To request additional annual reports
You can find all the historical annual reports up to and including the 2009 Annual Report in the University of Melbourne Calendar Collection 1858 - attached to each year’s calendar.
Five-year key statistics
|Median ATAR 1||93.60||93.65||93.40||93.30||93.65|
|Student enrolments (EFTSL) 2|
|Research Higher Degree||3,577||3,531||3,436||3,347||3,133|
|Female Enrolment (%)||55.7%||56.2%||56.6%||56.9%||57.3%|
|International Students (%)||37%||40%||43%||44%||41%|
|Total Indigenous Student Enrolments||288||342||383||437||463|
|Commonwealth Supported Places (incl. Research Training Programs)||25,021||24,794||24,966||25,546||25,577|
|Research Higher Degree (excluding Higher Doc)||901||825||1,019||967||900|
|Research Performance Indicators2|
|Research Income ($million)5||445||478||474||495||657|
|Web of Science Indexed Publications6||6,850||7,004||7,563||8,789||8,621|
|Graduate Research Completions (excluding Higher Doctorate)||901||825||1019||967||900|
|Operating Income ($million)||2,150||2,274||2,494||2,531||2,426|
|Operating Expenditure ($million)||2,084||2,248||2,437||2,495||2,417|
|Operating Margin (%)||3.1||1.1||2.3||2.7||0.4|
- Median ATAR for enrolled students are based on both Commonwealth Supported Place and international onshore Year 12 students.
- 2020 student enrolments, awards and research performance indicators are estimates based on best available data.
- Staff full-time equivalent (FTE) includes continuing, fixed-term and casual staff.
- Employees are correctly included in workforce data collections.
- 2020 unconfirmed figures, final Higher Education Research Data Collection (HERDC) audited figures available June 2021.
- As of 12 January 2021.
- Amounts represent University financial results excluding subsidiaries.
- 2019 financial figures have been restated. The changes relate to application of new and revised accounting standards, Service Concession Arrangements AASB 1058, new from 2020 and accounting treatment for the Termination for Convenience clause in contracts, related to the application of AASB 15 Revenue from Contracts with Customers and AASB 1058 Income of Not-for-Profit Entities. The standards have been retrospectively applied to 2019, and the values now reflect the revised values.
- Operating result represents the University’s accounting surplus less net discretionary financing income and expenditure, infrastructure grants and endowment philanthropic income.