Vice-Chancellor's Fellowships were established in mid-1997 to provide "in residence" status for distinguished public intellectuals to promote their contributions to society in their particular area of expertise.
The University of Melbourne has appointed Vice-Chancellor's Fellows from a broad range of disciplines and backgrounds, including former State Premiers and composers, molecular biologists and newscasters. During their tenure, Vice-Chancellor's Fellows make distinctive and deeply valued contributions to the scholarly environment and public life of the University.
Appointment is usually for one year, or may be taken part-time over several years.
Current Vice-Chancellor's Fellows:
- Professor Sally Smart, MFA Melb. – appointed 2016, based at the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music
- Ms Ali Moore, BA Melb. – appointed 2017, based at Asialink
- Professor Gillian Triggs, LL.B, LL.M, PhD Melb. – appointed 2017, based at the Melbourne Law School
- Professor Uma Kothari, BA, MA, PhD. – appointed 2017, based at the School of Geography
- Ms Jenny Macklin, BCom (Hons) Melb. – appointed 2019, based at the Melbourne School of Government
- Professor Sir John Savill, BA, MBChB, MRCP, PhD, FRCP (London), FMedSci, FRCP (Edinburgh), FASN, FRSE, FRS – appointed 2019, based at the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences