A Privacy collection notice (sometimes known as a privacy statement) is to inform the individual of the intended use of their personal information. A clear and comprehensive Privacy Collection Notice allows the University to use and disclose personal information in the way in which it was intended, and mitigates risk of non-compliance with privacy obligations.
A collection notice must include:
- The identity and contact details of the department/division which is collecting the information
- The primary purpose for which the information is collected
- To whom generally (the types of individuals or organisations) the information will be routinely disclosed to
- Any law that requires the particular information to be collected
- The main consequences (if any) for the individual if all or part of the information is not provided
- The fact that the individual is able to gain access to the Personal Information they have provided; and
Item 4 may be omitted if there are no specific Laws that require the collection.
Item 5 may be omitted if the consequences of not providing all or part of the information is nil or minimal.